Valley of the Dolls Blu-ray
The Criterion Collection
Criterion | 1967 | 123 min | Rated PG-13 | Sep 27, 2016
Single disc (1 BD-50)
The Criterion Collection
Valley of the Dolls (1967) The Criterion Collection Blu-ray
Straight from the best-selling pages of Jacqueline Susann's audacious novel comes the unforgettable tale of three glamorous women who will stop at nothing to get to the top. Oscar winners Patty Duke, Lee Grant and Susan Hayward team with Sharon Tate and Barbara Parkins for this spectacular, satisfying and well-before-its-time tale of hedonism and one-upmanship on the road to fame! When a small-town beauty arrives in New York, she becomes instant friends with a struggling singer, Neely, and an actress, Jennifer. Together these headstrong, career-driven gals embark on a roller coaster ride of fast-talking men, endless nights of partying, booze...and pills that they call "dolls." But as they careen down the path to superstardom, one of them may face more self-destructive behavior than she can handle in this riveting and acclaimed hit film!
Director: Mark Robson
Writers: Jacqueline Susann, Helen Deutsch, Dorothy Kingsley
Starring: Barbara Parkins, Patty Duke, Sharon Tate, Paul Burke, Susan Hayward, Tony Scotti
Valley of the Dolls
Cutthroat careerism, wild sex, and fierce female protagonists are all on offer in this adaptation of Jacqueline Susann's sensational and wildly popular novel. Patty Duke, Barbara Parkins, and Sharon Tate star as three friends attempting to navigate the glamorous, pressurized world of big-time show business—the "valley" is not a place but a narcotized state of mind, and the "dolls" are the pills that rouse them in the morning and knock them out at night. Blending old-fashioned gloss with Madison Avenue grooviness, this slick look by director Mark Robson at the early days of sexual liberation and an entertainment industry coming apart was a giant box-office hit and has become an unforgettably campy time capsule of the 1960s.
- New 2K digital restoration, with 3.0 LCR DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary from 2006 featuring actor Barbara Parkins and journalist Ted Casablanca
- New interview with author Amy Fine Collins about author Jacqueline Susann and the film
- New video essay by critic Kim Morgan
- Footage of Marc Huestis Presents Sparkle Patty Sparkle!, a 2009 gala tribute to actor Patty Duke at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco
- A World Premiere Voyage and Jacqueline Susann and "Valley of the Dolls," two promotional films from 1967
- Archival interviews
- Trailers and TV spots
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Glenn Kenny
STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 27.