DigiPack / The Criterion Collection / À bout de souffle
Criterion | 1960 | 90 min | Not rated | Nov 15, 2016
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Aspect ratio: 1.34:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.37:1
French: LPCM Mono
Single disc (1 BD-50)
Breathless (The Criterion Collection)(1960) Blu-ray
A petty criminal, wanted for the murder of a police officer, returns to Paris where he meets an American girl who hawks newspapers. They become lovers, but eventually the police pressure her into betraying him and revealing his whereabouts.
Director: Jean-Luc Godard
Writers: Jean-Luc Godard, François Truffaut
Starring: Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, Daniel Boulanger, Henri-Jacques Huet, Roger Hanin, Jean-Pierre Melville
There was before Breathless, and there was after Breathless. Jean-Luc Godard burst onto the film scene in 1960 with this jazzy, free-form, and sexy homage to the American film genres that inspired him as a writer for Cahiers du cinéma. With its lack of polish, surplus of attitude, anything-goes crime narrative, and effervescent young stars Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg, Breathless helped launch the French New Wave and ensured that cinema would never be the same.
- Restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director of photography Raoul Coutard, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Archival interviews with director Jean-Luc Godard and actors Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, and Jean-Pierre Melville
- Contemporary interviews with Coutard, assistant director Pierre Rissient, and filmmaker D. A. Pennebaker
- Two video essays, one on Seberg and one on Breathless as film criticism
- Chambre 12, Hôtel de suède, an eighty-minute 1993 documentary about the making of Breathless
- Charlotte et son Jules, a 1959 short by Godard starring Belmondo
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by scholar Dudley Andrew, writings by Godard, François Truffaut's original treatment, and Godard's scenario.