DigiPack / The Criterion Collection / The Decalogue
Criterion | 1989 | Season 1 | 572 min | Not rated | Sep 27, 2016
Four-disc set (4 BD-50)
The Criterion Collection
Dekalog (TV) (1989) The Criterion Collection Blu-ray
Krzysztof Kieslowski's award-winning cinematic masterpiece is a riveting, profound work of supreme daring and imagination. Using one of the Ten Commandments as a thematic springboard for each film in this collection, Kieslowski bucks the trend of action-based or psychological filmmaking, exploring the lives of ordinary people flailing through inner torments, hard decisions and shattering revelations.
Director: Krzysztof Kieslowski
Writers: Krzysztof Kieslowski, Krzysztof Piesiewicz
Starring: Artur Barcis, Olgierd Lukaszewicz, Olaf Lubaszenko, Piotr Machalica, Jan Tesarz, Katarzyna Piwowarczyk
This masterwork by Krzysztof Kieślowski is one of the twentieth century's greatest achievements in visual storytelling. Originally made for Polish television, Dekalog focuses on the residents of a housing complex in post-Communist Poland, whose lives become subtly intertwined as they face emotional dilemmas that are at once deeply personal and universally human. Using the Ten Commandments for thematic inspiration and an overarching structure, Dekalog's ten hour-long films deftly grapple with complex moral and existential questions concerning life, death, love, hate, truth, and the passage of time. Shot by nine different cinematographers, with stirring music by Zbigniew Preisner and compelling performances from established and unknown actors alike, Dekalog arrestingly explores the unknowable forces that shape our lives. Also presented are the longer theatrical versions of Dekalog's fifth and sixth films: A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
- New high-definition digital restorations of A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
- Selection of archival interviews with director Krzysztof Kieślowski, culled from footage from the 1987 production of Dekalog: Two, excerpts from the 1995 documentary A Short Film About "Dekalog," and a 1990 audio recording from the National - Film Theatre in London
- New program on the visual rhyming of Dekalog by film studies professor Annette Insdorf
- New and archival interviews with Dekalog cast and crew, including cowriter Krzysztof Piesiewicz, thirteen actors, three cinematographers, editor Ewa Smal, and Kieślowski's confidante Hanna Krall
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay and film analyses by film scholar Paul Coates and excerpted reprints from Kieślowski on Kieślowski
STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 27.