Ghost World Blu-ray
Criterion | 2001 | 111 min | Rated R | May 30, 2017
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Single disc (1 BD-50)
Ghost World (The Criterion Collection)(2001) Blu-ray
Enid and Rebecca are social outsiders who, after graduating from high school, play a mean prank on a middle-aged geek.
Director: Terry Zwigoff
Writers: Daniel Clowes, Terry Zwigoff
Starring: Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Buscemi, Brad Renfro, Illeana Douglas, Bob Balaban
Synopsis: Terry Zwigoff's first fiction film, adapted from a cult-classic comic by Daniel Clowes, is an idiosyncratic portrait of adolescent alienation that's at once bleakly comic and wholly endearing. Set during the malaise-filled months following high-school graduation, Ghost World follows the proud misfit Enid (Thora Birch), who confronts an uncertain future amid the cultural wasteland of consumerist suburbia. As her cynicism becomes too much to bear even for her best friend, Rebecca (Scarlett Johansson), Enid finds herself drawn to an unlikely kindred spirit: a sad-sack record collector many years her senior (Steve Buscemi). With its parade of oddball characters, quotable, Oscar-nominated script, and eclectic soundtrack of vintage obscurities, Ghost World is one of the twenty-first century's most fiercely beloved comedies.
- New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by writer-director Terry Zwigoff, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary featuring Zwigoff, comic-book creator and screenwriter Daniel Clowes, and producer Lianne Halfon
- New interviews with and actors Thora Birch and Illeana Douglas
- Extended excerpt from Gumnaam (1965) featuring the Bollywood musical number that appears in Ghost World's opening title sequence
- Deleted scenes
- And MORE...
- PLUS: An essay by critic Howard Hampton
STREET DATE: MAY 30.