One-Eyed Jacks Blu-ray
The Criterion Collection
Criterion | 1961 | 141 min | Not rated | Nov 22, 2016
Single disc (1 BD-50)
One-Eyed Jacks (The Criterion Collection)(1961) Blu-ray
Running from the law after a bank robbery in Mexico, Dad Longworth finds an opportunity to take the stolen gold and leave his partner Rio to be captured...
Director: Marlon Brando
Writers: Guy Trosper, Calder Willingham, Charles Neider
Starring: Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Katy Jurado, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Elisha Cook Jr.
A western like no other, One-Eyed Jacks combines the mythological scope of that most American of film genres with the searing naturalism of a performance by Marlon Brando, all suffused with Freudian overtones and male anxiety. In his only directing stint, Brando captures the rugged landscapes of California's Central Coast and Mexico's Sonoran Desert in gorgeous widescreen, Technicolor images, and elicits from his fellow actors (including Karl Malden and Pina Pellicer) nuanced improvisational depictions of conflicted characters. Though overwhelmed by its director's perfectionism and plagued by production setbacks and studio re-editing, One-Eyed Jacks stands as one of Brando's great achievements, thanks above all to his tortured turn as Rio, a bank robber bent on revenge against his one-time partner in crime, the aptly named Dad Longworth (Malden). Brooding and romantic, Rio marks the last, and perhaps the most tender, of the iconic outsiders Brando imbued with such remarkable intensity throughout his career.
- New 4K digital restoration, undertaken with the support of The Film Foundation and supervised by filmmakers Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New introduction by Scorsese
- Excerpts from voice-recordings director and star Marlon Brando made during the film's production
- New video essays on the film's production history and its potent combination of the stage and screen icon Brando with the classic Hollywood western
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Howard Hampton
STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 22.