Pan's Labyrinth Blu-ray
The Criterion Collection / El laberinto del fauno
Criterion | 2006 | 118 min | Rated R | Oct 11, 2016
Single disc (1 BD-50)
Pan's Labyrinth (2006) The Criterion Collection Blu-ray
Following a bloody civil war, young Ofelia enters a world of unimaginable cruelty when she moves in with her new stepfather, a tyrannical military officer. Armed with only her imagination, Ofelia discovers a mysterious labyrinth and meets a faun who sets her on a path to saving herself and her ailing mother. But soon, the lines between fantasy and reality begin to blur, and before Ofelia can turn back, she finds herself at the center of a ferocious battle between good and evil.
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Writer: Guillermo del Toro
Starring: Ariadna Gil, Ivana Baquero, Sergi López, Maribel Verdú, Doug Jones, Álex Angulo
An Academy Award–winning dark fable set five years after the end of the Spanish Civil War, Pan's Labyrinth encapsulates the rich visual style and genre-defying craft of Guillermo del Toro. Eleven-year-old Ofelia (Ivana Baquero, in a mature and tender performance) comes face to face with the horrors of fascism when she and her pregnant mother are uprooted to the countryside, where her new stepfather (Sergi López), a sadistic captain in General Franco's army, hunts down Republican guerrillas who refuse to give up the fight. The violent reality in which she lives merges seamlessly with a fantastical interior world when Ofelia meets a faun in a decaying labyrinth and is set on a strange, mythic journey that is at once terrifying and beautiful. In his revisiting of this bloody period in Spanish history, del Toro creates a vivid depiction of the monstrosities of war infiltrating a child's imagination and threatening the innocence of youth.
- Newly graded 2K digital master, supervised by director Guillermo del Toro, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Alternate DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary by del Toro from 2007
- New interview with del Toro by novelist Cornelia Funke about fairy tales, fantasy, and Pan's Labyrinth
- New interview with actor Doug Jones
- Four 2007 making-of documentaries, examining the characters, production, special effects, themes, and music of the film
- Interactive director's notebook
- Footage of actor Ivana Baquero's audition for the film
- Animated comics featuring prequel stories for the film's menagerie of creatures
- Programs comparing selected production storyboards and del Toro's thumbnail sketches with the final film; visual effects work for the Green Fairy; and elements of the film's score
- Trailers and TV spots
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Atkinson
STREET DATE: OCTOBER 11.