- US RELEASED DISC.
- (REGION A) PLAYS ON REGION A BLU-RAY PLAYERS ONLY.
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1
English: LPCM Mono
50GB Blu-ray Disc
Single disc (1 BD)
Criterion | 1979 | 92 min | Rated R | Oct 13, 2015
- New, restored 2K digital transfer, supervised by director David Cronenberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New documentary about the making of the film and Cronenberg's early work, featuring actor Samantha Eggar, producer Pierre David, cinematographer Mark Irwin, assistant director John Board, and special makeup effects artists Rick Baker (Videodrome) and Joe Blasco (Shivers and Rabid)
- New, restored 2K digital transfer of Crimes of the Future, a 1970 feature by Cronenberg, supervised by the director, plus a 2011 interview in which the director discusses his early films with Fangoria editor Chris Alexander
- Interview from 2013 with actors Art Hindle and Cindy Hinds
- Appearance by actor Oliver Reed on The Merv Griffin Show from 1980
- Trailer and radio spot
- PLUS: An essay by critic Carrie Rickey
The Brood (The Criterion Collection)(1979)
A disturbed woman is receiving a radical form of psychotherapy at a remote, mysterious institute. Meanwhile, her five-year-old daughter, under the care of her estranged husband, is being terrorized by a group of demonic beings. How these two story lines connect is the shocking and grotesque secret of this bloody tale of monstrous parenthood from David Cronenberg, starring Oliver Reed and Samantha Eggar. With its combination of psychological and body horror, The Brood laid the groundwork for many of the director's films to come, but it stands on its own as a personal, singularly scary vision.
Director: David Cronenberg
Writer: David Cronenberg
Starring: Oliver Reed, Samantha Eggar, Art Hindle, Nicholas Campbell, Henry Beckman, Nuala Fitzgerald