The New World Blu-ray
Criterion | 2005 | 1 Movie, 3 Cuts | 172 min | Not rated | Jul 26, 2016
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
50GB Blu-ray Disc
Three-disc set (3 BDs)
The New World (The Criterion Collection)(2005) Blu-ray
In 1607, three ships sailed across the Atlantic to the shores of what became known as Jamestown, Virginia. The arrival of these Europeans changed forever the history of the native people already living peacefully in this fertile land. Captain John Smith, a British mutineer facing execution who finds a new purpose--and a dangerous love--in this new land. Smith falls for the young and beautiful Pocahontas.
Director: Terrence Malick
Writer: Terrence Malick
Starring: Colin Farrell, Christopher Plummer, Christian Bale, Q'orianka Kilcher, August Schellenberg, Wes Studi
The New World
This singular vision of early seventeenth-century America from Terrence Malick is a work of astounding elemental beauty, a poetic meditation on nature, violence, love, and civilization. It reimagines the apocryphal story of the meeting of British explorer John Smith (Colin Farrell) and Powhatan native Pocahontas (Q'orianka Kilcher, in a revelatory performance) as a romantic idyll between spiritual equals, then follows Pocahontas through her marriage to John Rolfe (Christian Bale) and her life in England. With art director Jack Fisk's raw re-creation of the Jamestown colony, Emmanuel Lubezki's marvelous, naturally lit cinematography, and James Horner's soaring musical score, The New World is a film of uncommon power and technical splendor, one that shows Malick at the height of his visual and philosophical powers.
- New 4K digital restoration of the 172-minute extended cut of the film, supervised by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki and director Terrence Malick and featuring material not released in theaters, with both theatrical and near-field 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-ray
- High-definition digital transfers of the 150-minute first cut and the 135-minute theatrical cut of the film, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-rays
- New interviews with actors Colin Farrel and Q'orianka Kilcher
- New program about the making of the film, featuring interviews with producer Sarah Green, production designer Jack Fisk, and costume designer Jacqueline West
- Making "The New World," a documentary shot during the production of the film in 2004, directed and edited by Austin Jack Lynch
- New program about the process of cutting The New World and its various versions, featuring interviews with editors Hank Corwin, Saar Klein, and Mark Yoshikawa
- PLUS: A book featuring an essay by film scholar Tom Gunning, a 2006 interview with Lubezki from American Cinematographer, and a selection of materials that inspired the production
STREET DATE: JULY 26.