Fail Safe Blu-ray
Criterion | 1964 | 112 min | Not rated | Jan 28, 2020
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1
English: LPCM Mono
Single disc (1 BD-50)
Fail Safe (1964)
At the height of the Cold War, during the standard investigation of a possible incursion into US airspace by the Soviets, the nuclear bombers that are always in the air are sent towards their “Fail-Safe” points, about which they orbit while waiting to be sent to their targets if a preemptive attack by the USSR is confirmed. The alert turns out to be false and the various flights are recalled, but a technical error occurs, and one flight of 6 aircraft, armed with multiple 20 megaton nuclear weapons, passes beyond its “Fail-Safe” point, and heads towards its assigned target of Moscow. With the World racing towards WWIII, can the US President and Soviet Premier overcome their distrust, and avoid nuclear annihilation?!
Director: Sidney Lumet
Writer: Walter Bernstein
Starring: Dan O'Herlihy, Walter Matthau, Frank Overton, Edward Binns, Fritz Weaver, Henry Fonda
Special Features and Technical Specs:
- NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary from 2000 featuring director Sidney Lumet
- New interview with film critic J. Hoberman on 1960s nuclear paranoia and Cold War films
- "Fail-Safe" Revisited, a short documentary from 2000 including interviews with Lumet, screenwriter Walter Bernstein, and actor Dan O'Herlihy
- PLUS: An essay by critic Bilge Ebiri
DISC & SHIPPING:
- Brand New Factory Sealed.
- US Released Disc.
- Free Shipping Worldwide.
- Ships from the USA.
BLU-RAY, DVD & DIGITAL COPY:
- The Blu-ray Disc is Region A and will only play on NTSC/Region Free Blu-ray Players.
- If the product comes with a DVD, the DVD is Region A and will only play on NTSC/Region Free Players.
- If the product comes with a Digital Copy, the Digital Copy may not play in your region.
- We cannot guarantee that this item will come with a slipcover if applicable.