Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Two Takes by William Greaves Blu-ray
Criterion | 1968-2005 | 2 Movies | 174 min | Not rated | Dec 08, 2020
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Original aspect ratio: 1.37:1, 1.78:1
English: LPCM Mono
Single disc (1 BD-50)
Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Two Takes by William Greaves (1968-2005)
In his one-of-a-kind fiction/documentary hybrid Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take One, the pioneering William Greaves presides over a beleaguered film crew in New York's Central Park, leaving them to try to figure out what kind of movie they're making. A couple enacts a breakup scenario over and over, a documentary crew films a crew filming the crew, locals wander casually into the frame: the project defies easy description. Yet this wildly innovative sixties counterculture landmark remains one of the most tightly focused and insightful movies ever made about making movies, expanded thirty-five years later by its unconventional follow-up, Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take 2½. The "sequel" sees Take One actors Audrey Henningham and Shannon Baker reunited in a more personal, metatheatrical exploration of the effects of the passage of time on technology, the artistic process, and relationships—real and fabricated.
Director: William Greaves
Special Features and Technical Specs:
- High-definition digital transfers of both films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
- SYMBIOPSYCHOTAXIPLASM TAKE ONE (1968 • 75 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.33:1 aspect ratio)
- SYMBIOPSYCHOTAXIPLASM TAKE 2½ (2005 • 99 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.78:1 aspect ratio)
- Discovering William Greaves, a 2006 documentary on Greaves's career, featuring Greaves, his wife and coproducer Louise Archambault, actor Ruby Dee, filmmaker St. Clair Bourne, and film scholar Scott MacDonald
- Interview from 2006 with actor Steve Buscemi
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by critic Amy Taubin and production notes by Greaves for Take One
DISC & SHIPPING:
- Brand New Factory Sealed.
- US Released Disc.
- Free Shipping Worldwide.
- Ships from the USA.
BLU-RAY, DVD & DIGITAL COPY:
- The Blu-ray Disc is Region A and will only play on NTSC/Region Free Blu-ray Players.
- If the product comes with a DVD, the DVD is Region A and will only play on NTSC/Region Free Players.
- If the product comes with a Digital Copy, the Digital Copy may not play in your region.
- We cannot guarantee that this item will come with a slipcover if applicable.